1. Who May Drive the Vehicle: Lessee represents that he/she is able to and will operate the leased vehicle in a safe manner and in compliance with all applicable traffic laws and is a validly licensed driver 21 years of age or older. Drivers under 25 years of age are subject to a $25 per day charge. Lessee consents to Do North Rentals obtaining a motor vehicle background report on Lessee and any authorized drivers. Lessee agrees that Do North Rentals has the right to verify that his/her license has been validly issued and is in good standing; and that Do North Rentals may refuse to rent to Lessee if his/her license has been suspended, revoked or otherwise restricted in any way. Do North Rentals reserves the right to deny rentals based upon information provided by the Motor Vehicle Department of the jurisdiction that issued the license of any authorized driver. Except where otherwise specifically authorized by applicable law, only Lessee, his/her spouse, and/or domestic partner, if they are at least 25 years old, may drive the vehicle without an additional charge. Additional drivers may be authorized to operate the vehicle if they are at least 21 years old, have provided driver’s license information and paid a charge of $25 for each additional driver authorized to drive the vehicle.
2. Taxes / Fees: Lessee will be responsible for any State or Local Sales, Excise or concession recovery fees applicable to vehicles in this lease, specifically:
• AS 43.52.010 – State of Alaska Rental Tax – 10% of gross rental charge
• All applicable taxes & fees will be calculated upon return of Equipment and will appear on the final invoice.
3. Rental Charges: Lessee will pay the rental rate indicated on the rental document, in increments of one day. The minimum charge is one day (24 hours). The daily charge applies to consecutive 24-hour periods starting at the hour and minute the rental begins.
4. Return of the Vehicle: You must return the vehicle in the same condition you received it in on the date and at the time indicated on the rental document. If you return the vehicle earlier than the original date specified, you will be charged for the original dates reserved. You may return the vehicle after business hours using our after-hours drop; however, the rental contract will remain in effect until Do North Rentals re-gains possession of the vehicle the following business day. The vehicle must be returned to the same location it was rented from, unless different arrangements are made in advance. If the vehicle is returned after business hours, Do North Rentals, reserves the right to fully inspect the vehicle upon obtaining possession of the vehicle and issue any necessary charges that may apply upon said inspection.
5. Additional Charges: Lessee is liable to pay the following rental charges, to be determined after the vehicle is returned:
Smoking/Fish Smell/Pet Hair $350
Excessively Dirty Vehicle $75
Lost Key $250
Windshield Damage $50/ea. Chip Repair, $400/ea. Replacement
Fuel, if not returned full $7 /gallon
Parking or Traffic Violations Violation Cost/Fine plus 15% Admin Fee
Tire Damage $75/ea. Repair, $250/ea. Replacement
6. Prohibited Use: Any use of the vehicle in the following manner by you or any driver will violate this Agreement. A violation of this section will automatically terminate your rental. It also makes you liable to us for all penalties, fines, forfeitures, liens and recovery and storage costs, including all related legal expenses, fees and costs that we may incur.
It is a violation of this Agreement if the vehicle is:
1. a) Operated by anyone under 21 years of age or by anyone who is not listed as an additional and authorized driver on the rental agreement;
2. b) Used to carry persons or property for hire;
3. c) Used in any race, test, or similar type contest or activity;
4. d) Operated in a careless or negligent manner;
5. e) Operated under the influence of alcohol or narcotics;
6. f) Driven outside of Alaska, unless prior written consent by Do North Rentals has been given;
7. g) Driven into Mexico;
8. h) Used for any illegal purpose or in the commission of a crime, including the transportation of a controlled substance or contraband;
9. I) Obtained from Do North Rentals by fraud or misrepresentation;
10. j) Loaded or used for towing beyond its rated capacity;
11. k) Operated with more passengers than the vehicle has seat belts for, or is designed to carry;
12. l) Operated while using a hand-held wireless communication device or other device that is capable of receiving or transmitting telephonic communications, electronic data, mail or text messages
Or, if you or an additional driver, authorized or not, do any of the following:
1. 1) Fail to promptly report any damage to or loss of the care when it occurs, or when you learn of it and provide us with a written accident/incident report or fail to cooperate with our investigation;
2. 2) Where required by law, fail to report an accident to law enforcement;
3. 3) Obtain the vehicle through fraud or misrepresentation;
4. 4) Leave the vehicle and fail to remove the keys or fail to close and lock all doors, windows and the trunk, and the vehicle is stolen or vandalized;
5. 5) Intentionally or with willful disregard cause or allow damage to the vehicle;
6. 6) Return the vehicle after-hours and the car is damaged, stolen or vandalized or the car is damaged, stolen, or vandalized because you otherwise failed to take reasonable steps to secure the vehicle, its keys or other remote entry and starting devices.
7. Restricted Use: The leased vehicle cannot be driven off-road, driven on non-maintained road system, or driven on unmaintained trails. Lessee will use the leased vehicle on maintained road systems only with the utmost caution and care considering all conditions.
8. Damage: Lessee accepts responsibility for the care and safe operation of the vehicle. Lessee will be responsible for and pay for the actual cost of repair for any damage to the vehicle plus the daily rental rate for every day that the vehicle is being repaired and not available for use.
9. Insurance: Lessee agrees to maintain automobile insurance during the term of this rental agreement, providing Do North Rentals, the Lessee, and any other person using or operating the leased vehicle with the following primary coverage:
• a) Bodily injury and property damage liability coverage at least equal to statutory minimums;
• b) Uninsured / underinsured coverage at least equal to statutory minimums, and
• c) Comprehensive and collision damage coverage extending to the leased vehicle.
Lessee’s insurance will provide at least the minimum limits of coverage required by the financial responsibility laws of Alaska. Lessee’s insurance will be primary. Any insurance obtained by Do North Rentals is secondary to Lessee’s insurance and/or any other valid and collectable insurance, whether it is primary, secondary, excess, or contingent. Lessee agrees to cooperate with Do North Rental’s insurer if any claim is made.
Please initial here to confirm you have adequate automobile insurance coverage to rent vehicles: .
10. Indemnification: Lessee hereby WAIVES, RELEASES, AND DISCHARGES Do North Rentals, and agrees to defend, indemnify and hold Do North Rentals from and against:
1. a) Any loss, damage, or destruction of any personal belongings left in the vehicle;
2. b) Any costs associated with towing or flat tire repair;
3. c) Any and all claims, suits actions, damages, liabilities, fines, penalties, losses and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, for
4. 1) Loss or destruction of, or damage to any property belonging to Lessee, Lessor, or any other person or entity, or
5. 2) Death, Personal Injury, Dismemberment, or Injury that arises out of or relates to Lessee’s actions or inactions, and/or operation of or lease or the leased vehicle, including, but not limited to, the use, operation, parking, loading, unloading, hauling of trailers or other equipment, or any other activity associated with the leased vehicle.
Do North Rentals shall have the right to select counsel in the defense of any action in which it or any of its employees is made a defendant.
11. Entire Agreement. This rental contract shall be governed by and interpreted pursuant to the laws of Alaska, without reference to choice of law provisions. This rental contract constitutes the entire agreement between the parties concerning the subject matter hereof. All prior agreements, presentations, statements, negotiations, understandings, proposals, and undertakings, oral or written, with respect to the subject matter of this Lease are superseded and replaced by the provisions of this contract.